Pomegranate Jelly Dessert made with Agar Agar
- 1 packet agar-agar
- 1.5 l (6 cups) water
- 180 ml (¾ cup) of tapioca starch
- half of a can water chestnuts
- red food colouring
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 165 ml (¾ cup) coconut milk
- crushed ice
- In a saucepan, mix the agar-agar powder with the water and bring to boil over high heat. When the mixture begins to boil, reduce to low heat and cook for 4 minutes.
- In a square glass or porcelain dish, pour the mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dish from refrigerator and cut the jelly into thin ribbons.
For red tapioca pearls
- Pour the tapioca starch into a bowl.
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut the water chestnuts into very small pieces and add a drop of red food colouring.
- Dip the pieces of water chestnut into the tapioca starch, coat well but shake off any excess. Immerse them immediately in the boiling water and let them cook for 25 minutes. 4 Then pass the contents of the pan through the sieve and immediately immerse the contents in a bowl of ice water to separate the pieces from each other.
For the syrup
- In a saucepan, boil the water and sugar while stirring to obtain a light syrup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ribbons of jelly, the pieces of chestnuts covered with tapioca, the light syrup and the coconut milk. Add the crushed ice. Mix well and divide into glasses.