- 1 grey shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 3 tsp minced lemongrass
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp water
- 1 3-4 lbs whole chicken, rinsed outside and inside
- Prepare the marinade with the first nine ingredients and mix well.
- Put the chicken in a baking dish with the breast down. Using a kitchen brush, coat all parts of chicken as well as the inside. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken and leave at room temperaature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Bake the chicken at 375C and bake for at least 40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the flesh reads 160C. Stop the cooking and put the oven in grid mode at 500C for at least 5 minutes so that the skin roasts.
- Take the chicken out, put it on a cutting board and cover with foil for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cooking juice can be used to make a sauce by adding a teaspoon of cornstarch, which is well mixed in 2 tbsp of water and heated in a saucepan over a medium heat for a few minutes.