CHAWANMUSHI OR JAPANESE FLAN SOUP
Servings: 4 portions
- 1 sheet dried kombu, the size of a hand
- 1 liter water
- 1 handle bonito flakes
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) of mirin
- 1 liter (4 cups) dashi broth (see recipe below)
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (fresh or dehydrated), finely chopped
- 4 raw shrimp, cut in 3
- 3 slightly beaten eggs without letting air in
- 1 branch coriander, chopped
1. Prepare the broth. Mix kombu, water and bonito flakes. Heat, then filter. Add the soy sauce and the mirin. Let it cool down to room temperature.
2. In each bowl that can be put in a steaming pan, add a chopped mushroom and a cut shrimp.
3. In another bowl, break the eggs. With chopsticks, mix the eggs from left to right, very gently, trying to make the least bubbles possible. Add the egg mixture to the broth and mix gently, still without bubbles. Pass through a sieve in a bowl.
4. Pour the broth into each bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander.
5. Prepare a pan for steaming that can accommodate the 4 bowls. Put some water in the saucepan and bring to a boil for one minute with the lid. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
Take out the bowls, cover them with their lids and serve hot.