Lemongrass Beef Meal Soup
- 2 star anise
- 3 cases of vegetable oil
- 450 g (1lb) braising beef, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 C. salt
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 900 ml (3 3 / 4t) chicken broth
- 2 stems of lemongrass, crushed with the side of a knife and cut into pieces of more or less 2 cm
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of Vietnamese curry powder
- 2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2 cm rounds, blanched
- 1 cup of water
- A package of cooked pho-style rice noodles according to the package
- Herbs of your choice and bean sprouts for garnish
1. In a skillet over medium heat, roast the anise stars for 3 minutes. Book.
2. In a bowl, season the beef cubes with salt, pepper and sugar. Add a crushed garlic clove and 1 Tbsp of oil Marinate in the refrigerator for a good half an hour. Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth and lemongrass over medium heat in a pot.
3. In a heavy-bottomed casserole dish, heat the oil and add the remaining clove of garlic and the onion. Mix well, then add the marinated beef cubes. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Pour in the hot broth with the lemongrass. Also add the fish sauce and soy sauce. Lower the heat, cover and cook for at least half an hour, skimming from time to time.
4. Finally add the star anise, curry, sambal oelek, carrots and a cup of water and continue cooking for an additional hour.
5.Put the vermicelli into individual bowls.
6.Pour the broth into the bowls and garnish with the herbs and bean sprouts.