Nem nuong - Sour and Sweet Pork Skewers
- 1 C. of vegetable oil
- 170 ml (⅔ t) onion, mashed (in a food processor)
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed (in a mortar) with a little salt
- 2 lbs (1 kg) pork, chopped at least twice (ask your butcher)
- 2 tbsp. tablespoon of sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 C. salt
- 1 C. pepper
- 12 medium skewers soaked in water for 24 hours
1- Heat a pan over medium heat and pour in the oil. Then add the onion and garlic paste, stir and cook until the onions turn transparent.
2- In a large bowl, combine the pork and the onion and garlic paste. Mix well with your hands then add the sugar, fish sauce, salt and pepper.
3- Oil your hands with a few drops of vegetable oil and wrap the meat on skewers. Oil your hands as often as needed.
4- Arrange the skewers on an oiled baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven at 230 ˚C (450 ˚F) for about 6 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking. You can also cook the meatballs on the barbecue.
5- Serve with your favorite peanut sauce